Sunday, June 3, 2007

LIFE AS A SINGLE WOMAN

When you’d rather try DIY before asking anyone for help
I’m woman enough to admit that I’ve never in my life picked up a real powertool, I have never even switched one on, but the mere thought of having to ask one of my male friends to help me in my new house was not that appealing.

I recently moved into my new townhouse just to find out that curtain railings and bathroom railings didn’t come standard! Yeah, your read it right – no curtain railings. I put up temporary material “curtains” with double sided tape and then bought a drill with drill bits and some screws and those wooden railings. I put up the kitchen and bathroom blinds. Obviously after the relative success I had I was feeling pretty psyched about putting up the railings in my bedroom and livingroom… BIG MISTAKE. I drilled the holes, but couldn’t get in deep enough as there seemed to be a metal plate! I then got really pissed off and drilled another hole… no luck. Now I have 3 holes that I patched up and I still need to repaint.

I still have no curtain railings.
When asking for help is inevitable
I really give up… maybe I was just not made to be a tool wielding amazon. I had to try tho.

I phoned my brother in law and by this weekend I will have everything up and living it up in yuppieville

When you can’t do something – ask for help. I know, its hard when its your pride that has made you refuse any help from the guys in your life or the cute neighbor guy.
Just because I’m a woman I will not stand for being ripped off!
I have noticed that as soon as I ask for a quote on something for my house I get quoted exorbitant fees. I’m sorry, but do men really think I’m stupid?

I’d rather do something myself and swear a lot than being ripped off!

Getting drunk but being streetsmart and safe
I really have become quite a party animal these days. I’m out every weekend. Get home in the wee hours and then hang out with my girlfriends some more.

At least I’m not sitting home alone wishing I’m not single… but how sober am I when guys try to pick me up when I’m drunk?

I have no idea on how to explain this, but when I’m drunk and having a goldfish memory night out I immediately sober up when a guy steps into my personal space. Its probably the best thing I’ve learnt or picked up over the years.

I never drive when I’m drunk. If I can’t walk so lekker on my heels – I will not drive. I usually order lots of cold water and try to grab something to eat. I know that drunk people usually aren’t responsible, but I have a very special kitten at home that depends on me.

No comments: